Everyone aspires to be in shape in this fitness-conscious world. It is not just a weight loss game now; every inch of the body matters. This is why bodyweight exercises are getting so much importance these days. Bodyweight workouts are much in demand because they bring easy and effective workout routines that do not require equipment and take just the bodyweight to function. Bodyweight exercises provide the best and easiest workouts that enhance flexibility and strength to go that extra mile! You can efficiently perform bodyweight exercises at home and hit your abs and legs right in the living room! This article will let you know all about bodyweight workouts as well as routine.
Table of Contents
- What Are Bodyweight Exercises?
- Full Body Exercises To Do At Home
- List of Bodyweight Exercises
- Sample Bodyweight Workout Routine
What Are Bodyweight Exercises?
Bodyweight exercises are those workouts that use the self body weight of an individual to improve strength as well as resistance. Along with this, they can also ramp up the pace of fat burn. Bodyweight workouts are not complex like the heavy resistance exercises but train the body for flexibility, coordination, and endurance. Push-ups are an ideal example of a suitable bodyweight exercise.
Although bodyweight exercises do not require a prop or equipment, you can use a resistance band or wand if you wish. You must be thinking that people can perform full bodyweight workouts at the gym, but yes, this is also true that following a calisthenics or plyometrics routine may avoid the need for a gym membership for you.
To have a holistic bodyweight workout routine at home, you can add fitness supplements such as protein powders to have a powerful bodyweight workout. There are plenty of decent options available in the market you can choose from. One such ultimate protein supplement is Utsaha by Nature Sutra. The plant-based protein supplement contains high-quality protein with all nine essential amino acids. Check out the website now to place the order!
Full Body Exercises To Do At Home
These are beginners workout exercises that you can easily follow in your living room. At home, you can try some of the standard bodyweight exercises for the full-body workout. For general fitness, these bodyweight exercises are the best in the post covid world where social distancing makes everyone avoid the gym. So don’t just relax at home and get up to enhance your metabolic rate and sweat some kilos away!
Push-ups are a classic bodyweight exercise. They are regarded as the perfect full bodyweight workouts from times immemorial! Follow these simple steps to perform a perfect push up:
- Keep both of your hands a shoulder-width apart, with the feet flexed at a hip distance, and do not forget to tighten your core.
- Flex your elbows until your chest touches the floor, then push gradually to get back up.
- Ensure that you have the elbows kept close to your body.
Plank is a notorious ab and core building exercise. Out of all the floor exercises, planks are the ones that target abdominal muscles, glutes, and core. Follow the below-given steps to secure that accurate plank!
- Lie down facing the floor with your forearms on the ground and both hands clasped.
- Extend your legs behind and rise up onto your elbows and toes.
- Keeping your back straight, tighten the core, and hold this position for at least 30 to 60 seconds.
Squats are another common yet effective bodyweight exercise. It mainly focuses on the lower body strengthening and can be varied for additional training. Understand the following steps to perform squats:
- Stand firm with your feet parallel or set out 15 degrees, whatever is most comfortable.
- Gradually start to crouch and bend your hips and knees until your thighs are nearly parallel to the floor.
- Your heels should stick solid and not rise off the floor.
- Keep some pressure on your heels to return to the standing position.
Lunges are again a lower bodyweight workout that is fun and easy to do exercise. These functional movements of lunges help strengthen the lower body muscles, namely, glutes, hamstrings, and quadriceps. Go through the below-given steps to perform correct lunges:
- Stand tall and take a forward with one foot until your leg and form a 90-degree angle. Ensure your rear knee is parallel to the ground and your front knee is not going beyond your toes.
- Then lift your front lunging leg to return to the initial position.
- Do 10 to 12 reps on one leg, or switch between legs until you calculate 10 to 12 reps per leg.
5. Shoulder Bridge
This bodyweight workout takes the bodyweight on the shoulders and keeps the upper body muscles as well as the spine at work. Follow the below-given steps to do shoulder bridge at home:
- Lie down facing the ceiling with your knees bent and feet a hip-width apart.
- Keep your arms at the sides and then slightly lift the spine and hips. Remember, at this position, only your head, arms, shoulders, and feet should be on the floor.
- Now, keeping your core tight, lift one leg up.
- Slowly bring your leg back on the floor and, then, lift it back up.
- Try to complete 10 reps with each leg, then slowly lower the spine back on the floor.
Also See: How to Reduce Hip Size Without Exercise
List of Bodyweight Exercises
The full bodyweight workout is a little more challenging than the regular bodyweight workouts that focus only on general fitness. After understanding the basic bodyweight exercises, your transition to the full bodyweight workout would be easy. Bodyweight workout exercises that focus on bodyweight strength training and resistance are given below to make you achieve those appealing body cuts-
1. Plank to Push-Ups – Best Bodyweight Workout
This combo of planks and push-up will make your muscle engines speed up to get you that tough body!
- Begin with a plank position.
- Keep one hand at a time on the floor to lift and attain a push-up position with your back straight and core at work.
- Move one arm at a time to get back into the plank position. Then, repeat by switching the arms.
2. Wall Sits
Ditch chairs for having a hardcore full bodyweight workout!
- Slide and glide your back down a wall till your thighs get parallel to the floor.
- Make sure your knees are right above the ankles, and do this, keeping the back straight.
- Try to complete 60 seconds per set.
3. Single-Leg Deadlift
Deadlifts will make you do a deadly full bodyweight workout!
- Begin with a standing position with your feet firm together.
- Slightly lift your right leg.
- Bring your arms and torso a little low while raising your right leg behind.
- With the left knee slightly bent, reach your arms to the floor as much as you can.
- Now, raise your torso while you lower the right leg. Repeat with switching the legs.
4. Dolphin Push-Up
No, this does not mean you have to become a dolphin to complete your bodyweight exercises!
- Start with facing the floor with the knees and elbows on the floor. (try to replicate a dog’s posture)
- Lean a little forward, lowering your shoulders till your head is over your hands.
- Push up, return to the initial position, and repeat.
This bodyweight workout does not require a cape but will surely give you superman -like strength!
- Lie down facing the floor with both your arms and legs extended.
- Keep your torso still as much as possible, then simultaneously raise your arms and legs to make a slight curve with your body.
- Bring your limbs lower, and repeat.
6. Diamond Push-Up
This bodyweight exercise will give your body those diamond cuts!
- Take a push-up position while you touch your thumbs and index fingers, making a diamond shape with your hands.
- Now, do the push-ups! This bodyweight exercise will keep those triceps at work!
7. Dynamic Prone Plank
- Starting in a standard plank position, raise your hips as high as they can go.
- Bring them back down.
- Continue this movement as per your strength.
- Make sure that your back is straight and your hips do not droop.
Want those six-pack abs? Crunch down those extra kilos with this bodyweight workout!
- Lie down facing up with the knees flexed and your feet flat on the ground.
- Keeping the hands behind your head, slightly lower the chin.
- Engage your core while you peel your head and shoulders.
- Continue to curl up till your upper back is off the mat.
- Lower your torso towards the floor while holding the current position.
Also See: Best Way to Get Rid of Arm Fat
Sample Bodyweight Workout Routine
With the above-given bodyweight exercises, you can try a manageable and effective workout routine at home. However, we recommend that you try the below-given bodyweight workout routine if you are new to bodyweight exercises.
10-Minute Bodyweight Workout
An enthusiastic, energy-boosting workout involves doing at least two rounds of three bodyweight exercises while you keep the pace high and rest breaks small. Try the following exercises to practice a beginner’s full bodyweight workout-
- Jump squat hold- 10 Reps
- Squat kick- 10 Reps
- Plank punch- 10 Reps each side
Beginner Bodyweight Workout- High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
You can start with HIIT just by working through these 5 easy moves. Perform one exercise for 50 seconds, then relax for 10 seconds before you move on to the next exercise. Try to complete one round of all of these bodyweight exercises in 5 minutes. You can then carry on the bodyweight workout for as long as you can.
- Squats- 50-seconds, Rest-10 seconds
- Press-up- 50-seconds, Rest-10 seconds
- Lunges- 50-seconds, Rest-10 seconds
- Jumping jacks- 50-seconds, Rest-10 seconds
- Crunch- 50-seconds, Rest-10 seconds
Bodyweight exercises are an efficient way to work out for those lean muscles and lose weight fast. They can keep one away from the havocs of the gym and can make full-body exercises at home a reality. Also, to stay safe than sorry, one can always seek the advice of a professional trainer in case of physiotherapy issues. Moreover, you can try alterations and variations of the bodyweight workouts as per your body suitability. So, keep the above-given bodyweight exercises handy to work for sweat anytime, anywhere!