Breathing problems are a common but distressful health concern. Breathing problems or shortness of breath occurs when the lungs cannot take enough air that is required to breathe normally. The medical term used for shortness of breath is called dyspnea. If a person can’t breathe, then he/she is prone to get lung or heart-related problems. Some can’t breathe or experience shortness of breath for a temporary period; however, some people have it as a permanent health condition. People who face breathing problems regularly may have some underlying condition such as asthma, for which they need professional treatment and not just home remedies. However, people who experience temporary or mild breathing problems can either take emergency medical help or try a few home remedies to get rid of breathing problems.
Table of Contents
- Here Are Some Potential Causes Of Breathing Problems:
- Home Remedies To Treat Breathing Problems And Shortness Of Breath-
- 1. Inhale And Exhale Deeply To Get Rid Of Breathing Problems
- 2. Looking For How To Breathe Better? Try Pursed-lip Breathing
- 3. Switch In These Positions To Deal With Breathing Problems-
- 4. Take Steam For Overnight Relief From Breathing Problems
- 5. Drinking Coffee Can Help With Breathing Problems
- 6. Ginger Is Another Effective Home Remedy For Breathing Problems-
- 7. Use A Fan To Keep Breathing Problems At Bay!
- What Can You Do To Avoid Future Possibilities Of Breathing Problems?
Here Are Some Potential Causes Of Breathing Problems:
- Exposure to air toxins and pollutants.
- Pneumonia or lung infection.
- Pulmonary or lung disease.
- Heart disease.
In the garb of the COVID 19 pandemic, breathing problems have become a widely experienced problem. It is one of the significant symptoms of the deadly disease along with fever and dry cough, making it vital for us to look for shortness of breath treatments. Moreover, if the breathing problem is not a symptom of a severe or sudden medical condition, one can rely on several home remedies to treat shortness of breath.
Home Remedies To Treat Breathing Problems And Shortness Of Breath-
Are you wondering about how to treat shortness of breath at home like many other people right now? Many times we know that eating or drinking something cold may cause a mild cold or infection that can lead to breathing problems and shortness of breath. When that is the case, home remedies for breathing problems come to the rescue. Hence, it is crucial to keep these home remedies for shortness of breath and wheezing handy and available, especially in these tough times. Now without any further adieu, let’s know what to do when you have trouble breathing and learn about some effective self-treatments for breathing problems.
1. Inhale And Exhale Deeply To Get Rid Of Breathing Problems
Deep breathing through the abdomen helps manage breathlessness and is the foremost remedy for breathing problems. To try this remedy at home, one needs to follow certain steps-
- Lie down and keep both your hands on the abdomen.
- Through the nose, take a deep breath, let your abdomen expand, and fill up the lungs with air.
- Hold your breath for a few seconds.
- Breathe out or exhale slowly through the mouth and release the air from the lungs.
Deep breathing is a simple yet powerful exercise to get rid of breathing problems. Anyone can easily try shortness of breath treatment at home, even if it occurs suddenly. The only thing to keep in mind is to have slow, deep, and focused breathing.
Also See: Uses of Drinking Jeera Water
2. Looking For How To Breathe Better? Try Pursed-lip Breathing
The pursed-lip is another exercise for breathing problems. It enhances the capability to breathe better and clear. It slows down the pace of breathing, relieving breathlessness. This help from shortness of breath provided by pursed-lip breathing also helps in problems like anxiety and uncontrolled anxious breathing. Pursed-lip breathing also releases the trapped air from the lungs providing relief in shortness of breath. It can be easily used anytime by anyone. Some people who can’t breathe after lifting a heavy object, climbing stairs, or exercising practice it as a habit to overcome breathing problems. You can easily perform pursed-lip breathing by following these instructions-
- Keep your shoulder muscles and neck relaxed.
- Take a slow, deep breath for a few seconds while keeping your mouth closed.
- Purse your lips exactly like when you whistle.
- Gradually breathe out with the pursed lips after a few seconds.
This is a great exercise for shortness of breath, and people having breathing problems can do it multiple times a day until they feel better. However, more research is needed to declare pursed-lip as a completely effective remedy for breathing problems.
3. Switch In These Positions To Deal With Breathing Problems-
Anyone can easily catch a breath by trying these relaxing breathing positions. These supported positions are beneficial for overexertion or anxiety caused by shortness of breath.
- Sitting with forwarding support– Find a table or chair to provide your body forward position support in case you are having breathing problems. This position will help you catch a breath easily. To do so, you just need to follow the given steps-
- Sit on the chair, keeping your feet flat on the floor, and face the table.
- Lean in to put your chest a little forward. Now put your arms at rest on the table.
- Now keep a pillow on the table and rest your forearms and head on it.
- Standing with back support– Standing helps the body relax and allows more airways to do away with breathing problems. To do this easy practice, you have to-
- Stand tall, taking support of a wall, rest your back and hips on the wall.
- Keeping your feet shoulder-width apart, put your hands on the thighs.
- Now relax your shoulders, gradually lean forward and leave your hands loose.
Stay in this position for a few minutes and breathe slowly to get rid of shortness of breath.
- Stand firm with supported arms– This is a straightforward and anywhere and anytime doable exercise to get rid of breathing problems. You just need to follow these simple steps-
- Stand near flat and sturdy furniture like a table which is a little below to the height of your shoulder.
- Rest both your hands on the table and keep your neck straight.
- Now rest your head on the forearms and leave your shoulders relaxed. Doing this for a while will provide you relief from breathing problems.
- Sleep in a comfortable position– Many people go through breathing problems and shortness of breath while sleeping. It makes them wake up frequently and hampers the quality as well as durability of the sleep. The best way to eliminate in-sleep shortness of breath is to lie down with your back while keeping the head and knees elevated by using a pillow. You can do this by keeping one or two pillows under your head and knees. You can also try resting on one side with a pillow keeping your head elevated and a pillow between your legs.
Both these positions keep your body well rested and allow the flow of air to help you breathe. This will make you get rid of breathing problems or shortness of breath at night. However, if you have issues like sleep apnea, you should consult your doctor and act per his advice.
- Diaphragmatic breathing– It is just another type of deep breathing exercise used to treat breathing problems. To give a shot to this breathing exercise for shortness of breath, follow these given steps-
- With bent knees, sit on a chair and relax your head, neck, and shoulders.
- Place one hand on your belly.
- Breathe in or inhale slowly through your nose. Feel your belly move under your hand.
- Breathe out after a while and keep your muscles tight. Your belly must be falling inward now. With pursed lips, now exhale.
- To have quick relief from the breathlessness, focus more on breathing out than breathing in. Breathe out for longer before taking a deep breath again.
- Repeat this practice for 3-5 minutes.
One can use deep breathing and diaphragmatic breathing as an emergency measure as there is not much evidence for deep breathing curing shortness of breath. Incorrectly performing deep breathing exercises for shortness of breath also have many side effects and may even lead to severe breathing problems. It is important to note that people with chronic respiratory disorders should not try this breathing exercise for shortness of breath without a doctor’s prescription or a trained medical professional. This is so because it might lead to other severe breathing problems such as hyperinflation.
Also See: How to Eat Flax Seeds for Glowing Skin
4. Take Steam For Overnight Relief From Breathing Problems
Taking or inhaling steam keeps the nasal passages clean and clear. Steam inhalation can resolve breathing problems and help a person to breathe more easily. Steam inhalation passes moisture and heat to the lungs, which helps break down the mucus present in the lungs, making a person breathe easier than before. This is why Inhaling steam is one of the top home remedies for breathing problems. To take steam at home, try these easy steps-
- Boil water and fill the hot water in a big bowl. Make sure it is not too hot to scald the skin.
- Add a few drops of essential oil such as lavender or peppermint oil.
- Keep your face above the bowl and cover your head with a towel.
- Take deep breaths and inhale the steam.
- Do this for 5-10 minutes and cover yourself in a blanket right after taking the steam. This will make sure the heat reaches your lung efficiently, helping you to cure your breathing problems.
5. Drinking Coffee Can Help With Breathing Problems
Drinking a strong or black coffee can help ease breathing problems and shortness of breath. Caffeine is quite popular for calming the tightness of muscles and open airways in a person’s body. This action of caffeine ultimately provides ease in breathing. A 2010 study also reveals that caffeine can improve airways even in people with asthma. Coffee can thus provide sufficient air intake to provide relief from breathing problems or breathlessness. However, coffee increases the heart rate and should be taken in a moderate amount when used as a home remedy for breathing problems.
6. Ginger Is Another Effective Home Remedy For Breathing Problems-
Breathing problems can also occur due to a respiratory infection. Eating clean ginger root or drinking ginger tea can help treat respiratory infection and solve breathing problems for many people at home. A study even suggests that ginger can fight against a common respiratory infection that causes breathing problems; this infection is called the respiratory syncytial virus.
Also See: Shilajit Benefits and Side Effects
7. Use A Fan To Keep Breathing Problems At Bay!
A study published a report in 2010 showing that just swinging a handheld fan and blowing air towards the nose and face can calm shortness of breath or breathlessness. This home remedy for breathing problems enhances the air supply, resulting in suppressing breathlessness and shortness of breath.
What Can You Do To Avoid Future Possibilities Of Breathing Problems?
- Give up smoking and other forms of tobacco consumption.
- Try to stay in a clean air environment and limit exposure to toxic or polluted air.
- Do daily exercise to overcome obesity and unhealthy fat.
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet, take all the necessary nutrient supplements required.
- Take a sound sleep of 7-8 hours.
- Follow the prescribed medical treatment by your health expert if you have any underlying medical condition or illness such as asthma.
If you are lucky enough not to have experienced the unsettling breathing problems, try these above-mentioned lifestyle choices to avoid any prospects of breathing problems or shortness of breath. But if it is the initial stage for you to face breathing problems, then go for a proper medical diagnosis prescribed by the doctor. As mentioned earlier, in sudden and severe breathing problem situations also, one should not try to resolve it with only home remedies and consult a doctor as soon as possible. The home remedies are effective and safe when the medical professional approves them or if mild breathing problems are diagnosed