Table of Contents
Shoulders are no less than weapons for your body. And to sharpen a weapon, you need excellent tools. Well, look no further than dumbbells to sculpt and strengthen your shoulders. The best dumbbell shoulder workouts offer you various ways to target the deltoids from multiple angles and activate all three heads of delts. While during the standard shoulder workouts, equipment and machines are less mobile or fixated, shoulder workouts with dumbbells, on the other hand, allow all your stabilizer muscles.
In addition, most dumbbell shoulder workouts are versatile as they put the core to work to hold all the muscles together for different movements. Moreover, along with bulking up the shoulders, these exercises also help improve the overall posture of the body. You can begin with dumbbell shoulder workouts by including one or two of them into your upper body workout routine if you follow the upper/lower split. Or, if you’re new to bodybuilding, try easier versions of the dumbbell shoulder workouts while following the beginner’s workout routine. This said, let us now dive straight into the best dumbbell shoulder exercises and get your delts some work!
Dumbbell Shoulder Workouts For Classic Strength And Shape
When it comes to why one should opt for dumbbell shoulder workouts, the answer is simple. Shoulders add strength for the core that helps you perform multiple exercises correctly. Thus, dumbbell shoulder workouts allow you to attain excellent upper body strength and shape. And as it is vital to include biceps workouts and triceps exercises, shoulder workouts with dumbbells also top the list of exercises. Below given are the best dumbbell shoulder exercises for you to gain chiseled shoulders-
1. Standing Palms-In Shoulder Press
It is one of the most manageable dumbbell shoulder workouts. If you are looking for a shoulder exercise that simultaneously works on your delts and triceps as well, this is just the thing for you! Since the exercise is for a standing position, along with refining your delts and triceps, it will also boost the strength of your core. Follow these simple steps to execute standing palm-ins shoulder press correctly-
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand with the palms folding inwards.
- Now slowly start to extend the dumbbells up and bring them above your head.
- Subsequently, bring your arms to 90 degrees after holding the previous movement for a few seconds.
- Repeat as many times as comfortable and increase the number of reps once you get enough practice and strength.
2. Reverse Flye
Among all the three heads in the shoulders, rear deltoids are the weakest. So this dumbbell shoulder workout targets the weakest spot in the beginning when you have the most energy. It is an easy and motivating exercise to begin with, especially when you’re new to dumbbell workouts. To avoid any mishaps, follow the below-given instructions to perform reverse flye carefully-
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand and lean forward at 45 degrees with your hips.
- Keep your shoulder blades retracted and hold the dumbbells below.
- With a slight flex in the arms, raise out the weights at your sides.
- Your arms should be nearly parallel to the floor during the peak of this dumbbell shoulder workout.
- Take a pause for 2-4 seconds.
- Slowly bring them to the starting position and repeat the movement.
3. Alternating Dumbbell Front Raise
This dumbbell shoulder workout awakens the shoulder muscles for real! It is particular about the deltoids and involves unilateral movements. Therefore, if you have sensitive shoulder muscles, begin slowly with this dumbbell shoulder workout instead of directly going for heavy training. Start with lighter weights to gain steady but effective results. Remember that you need to be vigilant while you hit all three delts with this exercise. To be precise with the movement, go through the below-given steps-
- Firmly hold a dumbbell in your hand.
- Gradually lift the dumbbell to the shoulder height keeping the hand straight.
- Lower the hand to and again lift the hand.
- Once you are done doing the reps, repeat the movement with the other hand.
- Try to complete two sets with 6-8 reps in every set.
4. Shoulder Shrugs
Like the above-given dumbbell shoulder workouts, this exercise again focuses on the strength of the deltoids. However, it safeguards your shoulder muscles as it prevents injuries and pains. You simply need to lift the weights to your neck. Thus, it builds strength for both shoulders and neck simultaneously. What’s more? Shoulder shrugs also work upon the trapezoids located behind the neck. This enhances the flexibility and support of the neck and head for this dumbbell shoulder workout. If you want to perform this shoulder workout, follow these easy steps-
- Stand firm on the floor and keep your feet shoulder-distance apart.
- With palms facing the body, hold a dumbbell in both hands.
- With the knees bent and arms straight, lift the shoulders till your ears.
- And just using your shoulders, hold them at the peak of this exercise, then bring them back to the normal position.
- You can go for 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps. Do more if you have built enough strength.
5. One Arm Dumbbell Press
To be honest, this dumbbell shoulder workout is not easy. It demands a great deal of strength as it involves a single hand to work on the shoulder muscles. But, as they say, hard work never goes in vain; this exercise does not disappoint when it comes to muscle strength and gain! It will make your heart race as the stamina applied is enormous. But keep in mind these diligent steps to get it right-
- Stand with a dumbbell in one hand.
- Take a knee dip to bring the dumbbell from bottom to up.
- Then, rapidly move your knee and hips to push the dumbbell with force from your shoulder to above the head.
- Repeat this movement back and forth.
- Repeat the process and hit for more sets.
Also See: Bodybuilding Diet for Beginners
The Bottom Line-
The dumbbell shoulder workouts are among the most effective workouts not only for your delts but also for your core, traps, and back. However, seek a professional trainer’s advice before starting dumbbell training. They will suggest to you the proper procedure to start with lighter weights and then gradually increase them. Shoulder workouts with dumbbells can also cause injuries and strains sometimes. Therefore, be mindful of the technique and your performance while you strive to build stony shoulders. If you get all the instructions right and start experiencing effective results with these dumbbell shoulder workouts, share them with us in the comments section!