Home remedies for acidity are handy and available in almost every Indian household. The reason behind this is the spicy foods from which we cannot keep our hands off. The excess of acid production by the gastric glands, also known as acid reflux, makes one experience acidity. Burning sensation and stomach ache are caused by acidity after having a heavy and spicy meal.
Unhealthy dietary habits, eating spicy foods, too much smoking, and alcohol intake are a few common causes that aggravate acidity. It is a very common problem, but there are available many home remedies for acidity. Some symptoms which home remedies for acidity can cure are the burning sensation in the chest, nausea, frequent hiccups, and burping. Before we delve into the home remedies for acidity, let us first know what the fuss is all about.
Once the food we consume enters the stomach, a chemical reaction takes place between the stomach lining cells and the food. Acid is released due to this chemical reaction and is responsible for breaking down the complex food material. This process stimulates digestive enzymes for easy digestion of the food. The transformed food then goes to the small intestines and large intestine, where the already present nutrients can absorb the food.
In this process, the stomach’s cell lining may secrete an excess of acid. This happens due to the irritating food components present in the food that is getting digested. A bacterial infection known as Helicobacter pylori also causes an increased acid production by damaging the inner stomach lining. Though unhealthy dietary and lifestyle practices are major causes of acidity, there are some effective home remedies to cure acidity.
Medical prescriptions such as H2 receptor blockers and proton pump inhibitors are common medications to treat acidity or hyperacidity. However, frequent usage of these medications can make one experience certain side effects. Therefore it is not recommended to take these for a long period. It is better to develop a habit of using natural home remedies for acidity rather than being at the mercy of chemically-derived medicines. Being said this, now let us know about some of the famous and natural home remedies for acidity.
Table of Contents
- Home Remedies for Acidity-
- 1. Milk and Milk Products are The Top-notch Home Remedies for Acidity-
- 2. How To Reduce Acidity? Simple. Reduce Spicy Foods From The Diet
- 3. Daily Exercise To Reduce Acidity Problems-
- 4. Bananas and Almonds as Home Remedies for Acidity-
- 5. Cutting Caffeine Intake is Another Substantial Home Remedy for Acidity-
- 6. Mint and Tulsi Leaves as Home Remedies to Cure Acidity-
- 7. Ginger, The Best Home Remedy For Acidity!
- 8. Serve These Drinks As Home Remedies For Acidity And Cool Down The Burning-
Home Remedies for Acidity-
As mentioned earlier, home remedies for acidity are a great replacement for acidity medicines. They are simple and natural and do not bring any inherent side effects along with them if used wisely. Here we present top home remedies for acidity to stop your search for how to cure acidity naturally!
1. Milk and Milk Products are The Top-notch Home Remedies for Acidity-
Cold milk is the most famous natural cure and home remedy to cure acidity and acid reflux. Cold milk heals and calms hyperacidity produced in the stomach miraculously, as it contains high content of lactic acid. It instantly provides relief to discomfort caused by acid reflux. Thus, cold milk having its neutralizing effects on acid production in the stomach, serves as the most effective home remedy for acidity.
Experts even say that people suffering from stomach and intestinal ulcers crave milk. They indicate that milk can be an excellent home remedy for acidity and its related problems. If you dislike milk, you can switch to other milk products as home remedies for acidity. Yogurt contains the same neutralizing effects on acidity as milk. It has rich prebiotics, which removes impediments and fosters healthy digestion, proving to be a terrific home remedy for acidity. Similarly, Buttermilk, also commonly known as “chaas” is a helpful home remedy for acidity and acid reflux. Again, the lactic acid is present in buttermilk as well, which neutralizes the acid effect on the stomach, providing it cooling relief from the heartburning. You can have buttermilk after a meal to get advanced relief from acidity. This is why buttermilk is another widely used home remedy for acidity.
Also See: Side-Effects Of Jeera / Cumin water
2. How To Reduce Acidity? Simple. Reduce Spicy Foods From The Diet
India is known for its rich spices and spicy foods. The exquisite taste of the tangy and spicy food makes it difficult for us to keep our hands away. However, some are spice tolerant, whereas others are not. If you are from the latter category, it is beneficial for you to avoid spicy food as the home remedy for acidity. There is no other solution for spice sensitivity than cutting down spices from the diet and adopting it as a home remedy for acidity.
A small amount of spices in the food is sufficient to make the food palatable. Hence adding extra spices to the meal can cause immediate acid reflux. To avoid such situations, sticking to avoid spicy food as a home remedy for acidity is vital. People looking for home remedies to cure acidity should also know that clinical studies prove the aggravation of acid reflux due to spicy foods. Hence to get away with the worsening acidity problems, people who suffer from acidity every now and then should cling to less or no spicy foods.
3. Daily Exercise To Reduce Acidity Problems-
Exercise facilitates blood flow in our body and makes the blood reach the essential organs constantly working in our body. The stomach is one such organ. Hence people who move their bodies by doing regular exercise gain more blood supply and experience healthy digestion without acid reflux. Therefore daily exercise is one of the best home remedies for acidity.
It might be astonishing, but the stomach movements are more frequent than other organ movements when we work out. It just takes a good routine to take out 20-30 minutes for daily exercise. Brisk walking, climbing stairs, and cycling are a few easy exercises one can do daily and use as a home remedy for acidity. By hopping on to these exercises daily, you will experience improved digestion and reduced acid reflux, making you adopt this daily practice as a home remedy to cure acidity.
Also See: Best Exercise To Reduce Hip Fat
4. Bananas and Almonds as Home Remedies for Acidity-
Bananas are a great remedy for constipation as they contain a rich amount of fiber and potassium. Bananas also boost digestion and act as an effective home remedy for acidity. When taken with almonds or almond milk, bananas can have a double-action fighting against the acid reflux in the stomach. Almonds are a rich source of natural oils; this makes the regular eating of a handful of raw almonds an effective home remedy for acidity. Almond milk is also amazing to trick hyperacidity as both lactic acid and natural oils will act against acid reflux and cure acidity naturally.
5. Cutting Caffeine Intake is Another Substantial Home Remedy for Acidity-
Studies suggest that the lower oesophageal sphincter gets weak on excessive caffeine consumption. The lower oesophageal sphincter is a band of muscles present in the food pipes’ end. The sphincter has a key role in preventing acid and food go back into the esophagus. Caffeine also aggravates the problems of acid reflux and heartburn and can worsen the problems of acidity. Hence avoiding or gradually cutting caffeine is the best home remedy for acidity. Similarly, people with acidity and related problems should avoid chocolate and chocolate drinks as well. Chocolate is another culprit for building acid in the esophagus. Therefore if you are looking for home remedies for acidity and are fond of consuming chocolate and chocolate products, you should consider cutting your chocolate intake now.
Also See: Home Remedies for Joint Pain
6. Mint and Tulsi Leaves as Home Remedies to Cure Acidity-
Mint is a natural cooling gift offered by mother nature. It has natural digestive properties as well. These qualities of mint leaves serve in combating acid reflux and heartburn, making Mint leaves a suitable home remedy for acidity. Similarly, tulsi leaves also stimulate healthy digestion with their anti-inflammatory effect. They stimulate the production of mucous in the stomach, which relieves and soothes the stomach lining. Chewing few tulsi leaves or drinking tulsi tea is an effective home remedy for acidity.
7. Ginger, The Best Home Remedy For Acidity!
Ginger has a lot of digestive and antioxidant enzymes present in it. With all its outstanding anti-inflammatory properties, Ginger serves as one of the best home remedies for acidity. You can just grab ginger from the kitchen and chew a freshly sliced ginger or prepare ginger tea by boiling a clean ginger root in water. The experience of herbal ginger tea will let you know how to cure acidity naturally.
8. Serve These Drinks As Home Remedies For Acidity And Cool Down The Burning-
- Watermelon Juice– Eating diced watermelon or drinking unfiltered watermelon juice is a great home remedy for acidity. It quickly cools down the burning sensation in the chest and stomach by keeping the body hydrated.
- Aloe Vera Juice– As everyone knows, aloe vera is loaded with anti-inflammatory properties and potent vitamins and minerals. This makes aloe vera juice an appropriate home remedy for acidity. To get instant relief from acid reflux and heartburn, scoop out some aloe vera gel from its leaves, mix it with water and drink it to get rid of acidity.
- Coconut Water– Coconut water is a readily available natural drink. It is rich in fiber and is famous for fighting against many infections. Drinking coconut water is a helpful home remedy for acidity as it protects the stomach from the harmful effects of excess acid production.
- Pineapple Juice– Pineapple juice is considered one of the most efficient home remedies for acidity. Just one glass of pineapple juice after a loaded meal is your answer for how to get rid of acidity instantly.
- Apple Cider Vinegar– Apple cider vinegar is another famous home remedy for acidity. To take advantage of its antioxidant properties, all you need to do is mix 2-3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into water and drink it. This beverage is one of the best home remedies for acidity and calming acid reflux.
- Lemon Soda– Lemon is jampacked with Vitamin C and is capable of neutralizing acid in the stomach. When mixed with water and a teaspoon of baking soda, the drink we come across is called lemon soda, which alters the acid build in the stomach. Lemon water or Lemon soda is a very famous home remedy for acidity that works in a similar fashion as an antacid. It provides instant relief from acid reflux and also helps one to release trapped gas. Many people rely on aerated drinks and sodas to get rid of acidity; however, they are unaware that the carbon dioxide present in these carbonated drinks aggravates acidity instead of calming it. Thus Lemon soda should be preferred as a tried and tested home remedy for acidity instead of commercial sodas.
So we have learned that there are many home remedies for acidity available right in the kitchen. Acidity is a commonly occurring problem in almost every individual’s life. It is generally not advised to take medicines for such a usual problem. However, if the situation gets prolonged or complex, one must quickly consult a gastrologist and act as per the doctor’s advice. Moreover, these vital hacks and home remedies for acidity will help you keep the daily acidity problems at bay.