Cumin is a plant whose seeds are used as a spice and are known as cumin seeds. Cumin seeds or Jeera are quite a popular spice in India and all over the world. It enhances the flavor of many Indian dishes with its unique and rusty taste. Cumin is not only an important part of our food but possesses medicinal value as well. Its anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, antioxidant, and antiseptic properties can solve a number of health woes. Most of its health benefits are related to digestion, the immune system, and blood circulation.
When we boil a few seeds of jeera or cumin in water, the drink obtained is known as jeera water. Jeera water is a traditional cure for many health problems that have passed on from generations. Using jeera/cumin water for weight loss is an old age remedy and is a big hit among those who want to shed some extra pounds naturally. The benefits of taking jeera water on an empty stomach are immense; it is indeed one of the best ways to start your day. Jeera water is a popular pal of many other healthy beverages.
Table of Contents
- Here Are 10 Remarkable Benefits of Jeera water
- Jeera / Cumin Water For Weight Loss
- Side-Effects Of Jeera / Cumin water
Here Are 10 Remarkable Benefits of Jeera water
1. Provides Relief From Indigestion
Jeera water provides relief from indigestion and helps regulate bowel movement. Jeera contains a chemical compound called thymol which supports the breaking down of complex nutrients like fat, sugar, and protein, facilitating the digestion process. This helps in getting relief from bloating, acidity, nausea, and other gut issues.
2. Boosts Immunity
Jeera contains an ample amount of vitamin C, iron, and dietary fiber that make it an absolute fit for boosting immunity. The antiviral and antibacterial properties of jeera help us fight seasonal flu and health problems, protecting our overall health. Thus sipping Jeera water daily will help maintain your immune system and reduce your chances of falling sick.
3. Helps Manage Diabetes
Jeera water is highly beneficial for diabetic people. Cumin seeds can stimulate insulin production in the body that helps keep blood sugar levels in control—according to the experts, drinking a glass of jeera water on an empty stomach or 30 minutes after each meal is the best way to manage your diabetes. But avoid taking the cumin seeds in excess if you are already on medications for diabetes; it can make your blood sugar levels drop too low.
4. Helps Treat Respiratory Disorders
The anti-congestive nature of jeera or cumin seeds makes jeera water an excellent remedy for many respiratory problems. Drinking jeera water can help clear out mucus from the chest, giving relief from unpleasant symptoms like a wheezing and sore throat. A good night’s sleep is one of the significant benefits of drinking jeera water at night before going to bed. Or it could be the first thing in the morning if you suffer from a respiratory disorder.
5. Regulates Blood Pressure
Jeera water contains high amounts of potassium- an essential mineral that ensures the body’s proper functioning. And one of the critical functions of potassium is to help regulate blood pressure by maintaining the body’s electrolyte balance. Therefore, if your high blood pressure bothers you, try incorporating jeera water into your daily routine.
6. Improves Energy Levels
Jeera seeds are loaded with many valuable nutrients that help keep our body’s energy up throughout the day. This makes jeera water one of the best drinks to boost your energy levels. It stimulates the metabolic rate that helps you feel more active and energetic. So, next time you feel sluggish, sip on some jeera water.
7. Improves Breast Milk Supply
Jeera water helps to improve breast milk secretion in lactating mothers. The galactagogue action of cumin seeds promotes milk production in the breasts and enhances breast milk quality. Since cumin seeds are rich in iron, they also help new mothers gain strength after delivery. Therefore, if taken regularly postpartum, a glass of jeera water helps keep both mother and baby healthy.
8. Gives Your Skin A Healthy Glow
Jeera water is rich in minerals like potassium, copper, selenium, and manganese, all of which contribute to youthful and glowy skin. Also, it helps eliminate acne and protect our skin from infections because of its antibacterial and anti-microbial properties. If you want smooth, soft, and flawless skin, all you need to do is apply some jeera water topically and wash it off after some time.
9. Helps Reduce Body Fat
All the incredible jeera water benefits make it the ultimate drink for weight loss. Toxins that build up in our bodies are a major cause of weight gain. Since jeera water contains components that serve as a detoxifying agent, it helps to flush out toxins from the body. It also increases the fat burning process and accelerates body metabolism that helps us get a fit body.
10. Helps Getting Rid Of Menstrual Cramps
Jeera water has antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties that help getting rid of menstrual cramps. Jeera water or jeera tea has a relaxing effect that enables you to deal with all the period-related complications, reduce pain, and keep you energetic.
Jeera / Cumin Water For Weight Loss
The effects of Jeera water when trying for weight loss are incredible. Drinking jeera water is a very popular remedy for shedding some extra pounds most easily and healthily. According to experts, you can even lose weight in 15 days with jeera water if taken regularly. As we already have discussed various jeera water uses and benefits, let’s learn in detail how jeera water works to help, particularly in Weight loss.
- Extremely low in calories: Jeera water has very few calories compared to other beverages. So you can gulp it down without any guilt and not worry about the calorie intake. It’s a great idea to replace your normal tea with jeera tea as it is a much healthier option and will help you in your weight loss journey.
- Packed with antioxidants: Cumin seeds are jam-packed with antioxidants that significantly promote weight loss. Antioxidants help prevent oxidative stress in your bodies and flush out the toxins out of the system. This process of detoxification facilitates the process of weight loss.
- Have anti-inflammatory properties: Jeera seeds have powerful anti-inflammatory properties as they contain bioactive compounds. It is a lesser-known fact that obesity can be a pro-inflammatory condition. Prolonged inflammation can cause inflammation-induced obesity. Sipping on some jeera water can prevent that.
- Promotes better digestion: A healthy digestive system is directly related to a fit body. Drinking jeera water regularly aids in better digestion and improves bowel movement. Thymol, a compound found in cumin seeds, stimulates gastric glands secretion that helps in the breakdown of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates for the smooth functioning of the gut.
- Keeps you fuller for a longer time: When trying to lose weight, craving for food is quite normal. Drinking jeera water helps to stop your cravings for sugar and unhealthy foods. Not only this, but it also helps to keep your tummy fuller for a longer time and controls you from eating junk food. Jeera water also accelerates the metabolism and fat-burning process in the body.
Also See: List of Anti-inflammatory Foods
How To Make Cumin Water For Weight Loss
The best thing about jeera water is that to make it is a hassle-free process.
Just follow the following steps:
- Take a teaspoon of jeera seeds, add it to a glass of water and leave it overnight.
- The following day strain the seeds and separate the water
- Drink the water on an empty stomach.
If you wish, you can also add a teaspoon of honey and a few drops of lemon juice to the jeera water. This is, in fact, the best way to take cumin for weight loss. In order to accelerate the process of weight loss, one should drink this water the first thing in the morning and at least three times a day. The benefits of drinking jeera water in the morning are more as compared to having it at night.
Side-Effects Of Jeera / Cumin water
No doubt, jeera seeds are highly beneficial to your overall health. But if taken in excess, it can also have numerous side-effects and cause harm to your body. So always consume them in moderation. Some of the Jeera water side-effects are as follows:
- Rapid reduction in blood sugar levels.
- Can lead to heartburn.
- Causes excessive belching.
- Can aggravate mouth ulcers.