Your gym routine or bodyweight workouts are incomplete without the right shoulder workouts. Yes, you read that right; while working hard over those big biceps workouts, you should not miss the shoulders to ace the cuts! The shoulder workouts bring you near to that perfect V-shaped body as well as a definitive physique.
Not only this, shoulder workouts such as the Arnold press exercise also keep a check on the unfortunate bone dislocations. This means that along with prepping you with a slimmer waist, shoulder workouts can also relieve muscular pain in the upper body.
You may find it surprising that shoulder workouts provide fast results as shoulder muscles develop much quicker than the rest of the body muscles. But, that does not mean the shoulder workouts are a cakewalk; many of the gym freaks sweat all day to attain a toned body, and as the big biceps workout, the shoulder workout exercises can be pretty intense.
Table of Contents
Shoulder Muscle Exercises
If you are strolling the internet to find the list of daily workouts, focusing mainly on the best shoulder workouts, then you have stopped by the right article! We will provide you with motivating shoulder exercises that will eventually encourage you to perform them while you read them! While there are many shoulder exercises, our top pick is the Arnold press. So, without any further adieu, let us now dive straight into understanding the shoulder workout exercises for men-
1. Arnold Workout
Stop guessing; this shoulder workout is actually named after the one and only Arnold Schwarzenegger! The Arnold workout exercise targets all three sections of your deltoids (The round muscles at the upper arms) and keeps those muscles under tension, which the rest overhead press lack. The Arnold press does not neglect the stabilizer muscles such as medial (lateral) and posterior (back). Thus, the Arnold press stimulates a lot of muscle growth without much weight lifting. Follow the below-given instructions to perform the Arnold press exercise correctly-
- Stand firm on the ground and grip a dumbbell in each of your hands with the arms bent.
- Do not push straight up; instead, spread both the arms laterally.
- Now press your arms upward and twist the hands in such a manner that palms face the forward direction.
- Finally, push your head forward to seek a full range of motion. Try to reach as high as you can so that the biceps get closer to your ears.
- Exert this movement by beginning with higher elbows and your upper arms parallel to the floor. This movement ensures pressure on the shoulders.
- Repeat this Arnold press exercise 3-4 times with 8-12 reps. You can take rest intervals of 30 seconds in between.
Different Types of Arnold Press Workout
Seated Arnold Press-
A great form while you are seated is the biggest advantage of the seated Arnold press exercise. Of course, this Arnold press cannot recruit all the back muscles at work, but it can help you build strength and make those shoulder muscles work even better. Your back should be flat against a bench while your back and shoulder muscles are at work.
Dumbbell Overhead Arnold Press-
The specialty of the Arnold press exercises is that they work on various muscles at the same time. However, if you have any shoulder niggles, be mindful while practicing this Arnold press workout. But, if you are looking for an alternative dumbbell overhead press, Arnold Press with dumbbells is one solid shoulder exercise that will make you witness mind-blowing results. Follow the below-given steps to perform the dumbbell overhead Arnold press correctly-
- With the palms facing forward, hold the dumbbells by the shoulders.
- Bend the elbows at a 90-degree angle while the upper arms point out.
- Now gradually press the weights in your hands and then bring them down.
- If you do not wish to rotate, you can lift slightly heavier weights also.
Also See: Fastest Way to Lose Arm Fat
2. Barbell Overhead Shoulder Press
A barbell overhead shoulder press, also known as the barbell standing shoulder press, is a shoulder workout that works for almost the entire body. This is why it ranks among the best shoulder exercises, strengthening the core and building muscle fast. To practice this-
- Keep your feet at least at shoulder-width; simultaneously, tighten your core with the palms facing forward as you hold a barbell at your shoulders.
- Then, push the bar upward and press your shoulder blades together at the top.
- Come down steadily and carefully.
3. Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
A decent deltoid shoulder exercise is simply incomplete without the seated dumbbell shoulder press. Some even say these shoulder workouts with dumbbells are a whole deltoid regimen in itself, targeting all, i.e., the anterior, posterior, and lateral deltoid muscles (with stress on the middle delts). In the meantime, lifting two separate dumbbells (not as in machines) limits you from using one side of your body instead of the other, therefore grasping firmer balance as well as bodyweight distribution. Typically, a fair amount of coordination can pull this one off, especially when you go up with the weights. To perform this shoulder workout-
- Holding a dumbbell in each of the hands at the shoulder level, sit on a low-back bench with the palms falling forward.
- Keep your head and spine absolutely straight and lift the dumbbells overhead towards one another, then slowly touch them up while you stop just short of having them.
- Hold this position for a few moments and then carefully reverse the steps. Repeat the process.
4. Front Raise
You can use either a barbell or a weight plate to perform this shoulder exercise. Front raise is a shoulder workout that focuses explicitly on the anterior delts. Brace yourself for an intense shoulder workout for muscle mass! Remember not to go over with the weight as it may turn a healthy exertion into an unfortunate injury.
To execute this shoulder workout-
- Your hands should be at hip height when you hold the weight in front of you.
- Keep your feet even with your shoulders and core tight.
- Now, retract your shoulder blades keeping your arms straight as you lift the weight until the shoulder level.
- Breathe slowly and carefully lower the weight.
- Repeat the steps.
Also See: How to Reduce Hip Size Without Exercise
5. Reverse Pec Deck Fly
This shoulder exercise mainly focuses on your posterior delts. You will require a pec deck machine for this one. It’s also the best chest, back, and shoulder workout for gaining mass. To perform this shoulder workout-
- Facing the machine, sit down as the handles are at your shoulder level on either side.
- Next, grab the handles with your palms facing inwards.
- Keep your torso tight and extend your arms out to the side, pushing your way out.
- Responsibly return to the starting position.
6. Dumbbell Lateral Raise
If you want to go for a traditional lateral raise, do not look beyond this full shoulder workout with dumbbells. It targets the middle deltoids and works wonders when pulled with the proper technique. To execute this shoulder exercise-
- Begin with a standing position, keep your feet a shoulder-width apart with your abs tight, head straight, chest up, head straight, and shoulders pinched. Then, retain a neutral grip while you hold the dumbbells.
- Now, here comes the tricky part. You have to raise the dumbbells a notch above the shoulder level using just your arms and shoulders.
- Hold this position for a few seconds.
- Lower the dumbbells as you get back to the primary position.
- Repeat the steps.
Tip: Your elbows and hands should move together in harmony the whole time while you maintain a neutral, balanced position. If you feel that your core or neck is shifting as you continue the reps (meaning you are using your body’s momentum), then lower the weight accordingly.
7. Push Press
This shoulder exercise is a staple of heavy-compound workouts; no wonder it is not for novices! However, even the experts generally start it light (sometimes using just a bar) and then add the weight as they go along. So, start dreaming of those gorgeous cuts if you want to master this one! But, stand up first to perform this shoulder workout.
- Begin with resting the barbell at the top of your upper chest, with your elbows pointed out, palms up, and your upper arms parallel to the floor.
- Lower your hips, bend knees into a quarter squat and then rise upwards with full thrust; lift the bar gradually, fully extending your arms and elbows.
- Hold this position for a few seconds before you return to the initial position for the next rep.
8. Reverse Cable Crossover
You’ll need D-handles on the upper pulley of two cable machines for this popular shoulder workout.
- Hold the handle from the machine and pull on your right using your left hand, and vice versa.
- Pull the cable in a way that it forms a cross on your chest. Make sure you keep your elbows intact and arms even to the shoulders.
- Before you lift the weight, lean forward slightly in a cross-like fashion on each machine. Stretch your arms as far as the cable reaches before you bring them in.
- You can go up with the weights in the subsequent sets.
Conclusion About Shoulder Workout Routine
Shoulder workouts are an essential part of the bodybuilding and muscle-building routine. With the right shoulder workouts and techniques, you can easily achieve your ideal heavy shoulder goals. The only important points to keep in mind include focusing on the deltoids and take little rest between sets of shoulder workouts. If you have muscle strain issues or any underlying health issues, consult with your fitness expert before starting any shoulder exercise. Mostly, all the shoulder workouts given above are safe as well as super effective. So, take the position and get in your high spirits to try these shoulder workouts today!